“Give others all that is alive in us—our interest, understanding, our knowledge, our humor, everything in us that’s good. In doing so, we enhance the sense of aliveness in others while enhancing our own. When we give, we get a “heightened vitality” of what it means to be human.” –Erich Fromm
Let’s face it, with the onslaught of Facebook, Instagram, and social media in general it seems we all are searching and craving for self-promotion, a pat on the back or the ever coveted, “Like”. If we receive 85 “Likes” we think, “Why didn’t I get more?” I have no issue with any of this. But what about performing a good deed or task simply for the sake of giving? I know, I know…..if you do not see it on Facebook did it every really happen?? Well, it does and it did. Truly, the people who master the art of giving give out of the goodness of their hearts with no self-serving motives. They understand that giving becomes a blessing for the giver and the receiver.
So what are gifts that we all have that can benefit others now? Here is a very short idea list to get you started on your journey to generosity:
1) Give an encouraging note. We all love to be in someone’s thoughts.
2) Give a recommendation. Have an idea for a good book, a restaurant? Pass it along.
3) Give an invitation. An invite tells that person you want to spend time with them.
4) Give forgiveness. We all falter. Forgiveness heals. Live for the future.
5) Give kindness. You know the child that stops by your house selling cookies the same day you go on your diet? Well, purchase a box anyway; then promptly give them to a neighbor!!
6) Give love. The challenge is to give your love to someone who you feel may not deserve it. Make it unconditional.
I will have clients that set up photography sessions simply for the reason of giving. They want to give images to a grandparent, a spouse, even a neighbor. Often times I have clients that purchase a gift certificate from me and gift it to someone as a “thank you” or just to say “I love you”.
So what would you add to the list?